skip to main | skip to sidebar

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Bargain Shopping Galore! A two-storey establishment of massive bargain items.

You could only appreciate thrift shops, famously known as ukay-ukays, if you are willing to spend hours sorting through hundreds of racks with clothes, bags and shoes of various shapes and sizes to find a perfect fit. As for me, I've been checking out ukay-ukays since my early high school years, so I really don't mind standing for hours as long as I’ll find something that will tickle my fancy.

For my first post, I will feature one of the many ukay-ukays found along Rizal Avenue, Sta. Cruz, Manila – one of my favorite “bargain shopping destination”.  One of the biggest ukay-ukay in this area is located at the corner of Gonzalo Puyat (or Raon) St., and Rizal Avenue, a minute of walking away from LRT 1 Carriedo Station. I’m certain you’ll find something to buy in this 150-sq. meter, two-storey establishment. Taking of photos were prohibited but I was able to ninja my camera.

Click on image to enlarge.





Found at the first floor are the bags and shoes. The shoe section – which I personally enjoyed – has flats (prices ranging from 200-500php), high-heeled pumps, wedges and sandals (prices ranging from 300-600php), leather boots, both men and women’s (prices ranging from 300-700php), and authentic rubber shoes – Nike, Addidas, Converse, Levi’s, Merrell, Fila, name it, they have it here – (price ranging from 700-2,000php). I happen to spot pairs of Doc Martens for 1,400php, too!


Click on image to enlarge.





The bag section has many styles, sizes and shapes to choose from. I’ve been looking for a leather messenger bag for quite some time now, and I happen to see one for 580php. Other kinds include backpacks, shoulder bags, tote bags, gym bags, body bags, and class A designer bags. They have this rack full of class A Louis Vuitton (2,800-4,000php), Gucci (2,000-4,000php) and Dolce and Gabbana (2,000-4,000php) shoulder bags.

Click on image to enlarge.





The management has been strict when we went to the second floor of the establishment so I wasn’t able to take photos. Located upstairs are another hundred racks of ladies’ wear – dresses, blouses, skirts, pants, tank tops, and even gowns. They also have men’s pants, jackets, and caps upstairs. Prices range from as low as 50 pesos an item, up to 500 – it depends on the condition and brand of the piece.

Since I was running low on cash that day, I didn’t purchase either of the messenger bag or Dr. Martens I’ve been eyeing. But I’ll definitely go back after saving up enough money to buy either of the two, that is, of course, if the bag or the pair of shoes is still available.

4 comments:

  1. I LOOOOOOVE THIS ARTICLE! And yes I am shouting on my diva voice. I and a pack of friends are "Ukay-ukay" dependent. The picture of the shoes made drool my throat out. This is really such a useful information for us. We MUST see this store.

    I'm just wondering why they're not allowing people to take pictures? Don't they think that once people see their stuff, they'll come flocking into their store? It's a free advertisement, right?

    Anyway, good job! I really love this article. Funny how I comment like some kind of an expert or something. LOL.

  2. LOVE ET :">

  3. I shall visit this place ASAP.

  4. @Viel Bright

    I'm just wondering why they're not allowing people to take pictures? Don't they think that once people see their stuff, they'll come flocking into their store? It's a free advertisement, right?

    I was wondering why, too. When I asked one of their sales clerk the only response I got was: "Ganun po talaga ma'am, eh."

    Anyway, thank you for your nice words! If you got suggestions on ukay-ukays we should visit, feel free to let us know. :)

Post a Comment